We will always have the booze and we still have the bitches but we need to make sure the books remain in the Triple B Club!
Well I was really disappointed to miss last Monday's book club. Those nights out are always top priority and my husband had to screw it up! Bastard!!
Anyway, Marisa and I were talking about setting some casual guidelines for our book club meetings. Obviously, we all love the social aspect of the club and the funny discussions we partake in that do not concern the book of the month. We surely do NOT want to limit ourselves on those fascinating discussions. However, I feel we need to focus a nice size portion of our time discussing the actual book we have read. So, here is what I propose and I want to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions on my wonderful idea.
Proposed Book Club Scedule
Arrival and Greetings (10 minutes): "Hi how are you? OMG I really love that top you are wearing? Did you have a nice trip? My husband was late getting home and I swear I was about to castrate him right then and there!!!"
Small Talk while waiting for late arrivals (10 minutes): "I am so hungry, what should I get? Waiter can you get me a miller lite and keep them coming!"
Social Time and Food ordering (30 minutes): "I think I am going to go straight to dessert and forget the dinner." "Well, remember a moment on the lips and forever on the hips" "Who included this bitch into our book club!" "May the schwartz be with you" "Orlando don't you like it--it is autumn sunrise" "I want my two dollars" "So, who is going to Disney next?" "I had to remove the scissors from near my bed because who knows what I would do to Bob while I was sleeping" "So, how was your labor and delivery?" "Let's nominate Anna to create a recipe book--yeah she would be perfect because everyone knows she LOVES to cook"
Dinner and Social Time (20 minutes): "OMG this burger is so good. I have never tasted anything so good before." "What the hell did you smoke before coming here--you sound like you are high!!" "Oh this is so good!"
BOOK DISCUSSION (30 minutes of STRAIGHT BOOK DISCUSSION no side conversation allowed):
I know I am so guilty of going off into my own conversations and not following the discussions. Then I am guilty of talking so much about the book I do not let anyone else state their thoughts because I am a dominating bitch. So, here is how I propose the discussions should go.
Book Leader: Opens up the conversation by first asking one opinion question and EVERYONE answers it before anyone can comment.
I.E "What did you think of the book and why?" "What did you like or dislike about the book?" "Who was your favorite character?" It can be any simple question. But NO ONE can comment on anyone's answer until everyone has a chance to state their opinion. If we want we can bring a "conversation bookmark" and who ever is holding it gets to talk. Yes, that is the teacher in me.
Book Leader: Addresses a question to a specific person or to everyone. We listen to the answer and comment as we see fit. We can not take a detour down a path that does not specifically relate to the book nor can we take a different path somewhere else with another person. We must stay focused. This goes on for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes we can continue talking about the book but in a less strict manner or talk about other things. If you did not finish the book play it off and pretend you did. It is really easy to bullshit your way through it.
So, this is what I propose but if no one is into it then forget about it. But if you guys want to give it a shot I can be the enforcer and take the blame for being a controlling bitch!
Holla back!
I'm in. I LOVE our side discussions, but do think a little chat about the book is in order.
ReplyDeleteLove it! I like to chit chat too but am sometimes disappointed that I didn't get to find out anyone's views on the book. It can also make the person who picked the book that month feel like no one liked their book choice and didn't want to talk about it! Sounds good though and will definitely make me get the book finished! Sorry I had to miss the club this month too :( Hope you guys had fun!
ReplyDeleteI'm in too, but it appears for this book "Three Cups of Tea", only one or two actually read it. So we really have no choice but to chitty chat about everything under the sun. I think we do need to discuss the books more in depth and agree with Lisa 100% I hope this helps.
ReplyDeleteSounds good to me. I hate it when I read a book I don't like, suffer through it, and then we don't talk about it. Gosh darn it, why did I read that stinkin' book?
ReplyDeleteI liked the young readers version of Three Cups of Tea. Thought that Greg's mission was pretty cool.
Sounds fine to me. I enjoy the hilarious social time, but would also like some book discussion time too.
ReplyDeleteWell, last night was, as always, a great time. Thanks for hosting Sandy! I had a lot of fun.
ReplyDelete