Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Triple B Club one Year Anniversary

September is our one year anniversary as The Triple B Club!  Ahhhh... what a wonderful year our new club has had.  Each month our friendships grow stronger and are conversations are getting to be more risque!  For the most part, everyone was able to make the majority of the meetings and we read some AWESOME books.  Take a gander at "The Books of our Past" and name a book that really was your all time favorite to read and to discuss.  Are there any discussions we had that stand out in your mind?  Any funny conversations that still make you chuckle?  Come on... share your thoughts--this is mandatory, not an option.  Let's reflect on our great year together and start to think about next year.  You must post a heartfelt comment BEFORE you can pick the month you want next year.  Don't worry, I will not be grading this post but I do want some substance! 

Next Years Schedule (you may add you month at the end of your reflection)

September:  Karen
October:  Anna (The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein)
November:  Ann (The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry)
December: Tara
January:  Marisa
February: Sharon
March:Denise  (Love in Mid Air by Kim Wright)
April: Lisa D
May:  Lisa B
June: Sandy
July: Monique
August:Michelle

Thanks!

24 comments:

  1. Well, I will start it off so you get an idea of what kind of post I am expecting from each of you. It does not have to be long--500 words or more--JK! Anyway, hands down for me the best book this year is The Help! That book was spell-bounding. I felt the characters were really well written and believable. Great pick, Ann! I really enjoyed all of our conversations and feel this is a really great mix of women. We have strong opinions but also respect each others opinions! For some reason, the book club I really enjoyed the most was the one at Nemo's Grill. Maybe because that was right before Lisa went off and had her baby and she was really making use of the "eating for two" saying (that was the BEST part of being pregnant!) but for whatever reason it was a really great night!! Looking forward to many more great book clubs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so while I'm thinking about it. I also loved The Help because of the substance it had. The was so much in that book to discuss and it was so in depth in the emotion. I also liked Holidays On Ice because it really was out there. Probably wouldn't recommend it to just anyone, but it was so warped that some stories became funny. Others of course were just sick.

    Karen brought up a good point when she mentioned that a lot of people died or had cancer in the books we read this past year. Anna still cracks me up with our comments at Panini's. I was really laughing hard that night. Lastly, the conversation with everyone at Ann's was just so open and really dug into all areas, I loved that. That was probably my favorite all time book discussion. It was also the longest conversation about a book last year I think.

    I'm going to pick June again (unless Anna is going to make me switch). It gives me a reason to clean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite book this year was also "The Help". I almost never read books twice, but I want to read that one again. It's just so frightening and embarassing that white women treated black women that way, and it was so recent. It makes me question the way we are now, and if we'll look back when we're 80 and wonder what we were thinking!

    My favorite meeting.... hmmmm... I loved the food at Viengs, and I loved the conversation at almost every meeting. I don't know that I can pick just one!

    Looking forward to another awesome year with this group.


    September:
    October:
    November: Ann
    December:
    January:
    February:
    March:
    April:
    May:
    June: Sandy
    July:
    August:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with the others...The Help has been my favorite book so far. We had some great conversation about it at Ann's house...that was fun! I have enjoyed every months get togethers, so not just one comes to mind that has stood out. I love the circle table at Viengs, and Nemo's was fun as well. I am looking forward to another year with you all!!

    I will pick February again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading The Piano Teacher. I'd have to say that was one of my favorites. Not one particular book club is coming to mind as my favorite though. I enjoy every one. It is always good to get together with you ladies for an evening of talking and laughing. Not often do I get to sit with a group of great females and talk and LAUGH. I really love it.

    I will pick March......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love every book club night. It's my number one priority when picking what things to attend :) As Ann once said, I'm hoping for the book club ladies to be my BFF's.

    As for my favorite book/moment, hard to say. I usually like the books I read. The Help is probably going to be added to my all time favorites list. Anna finally got my butt in gear with rereading the Harry Potter series. I'm liking it more the second time around.

    My best book moment was from the book Tara gave me in the Christmas book exchange. My mom passed away 10 years ago and ever since then, I have struggled with what exactly I believe in. My dad is a pastor and I never wanted to let anyone know I had any doubts. There was one page in the book "The Friday Night Knitting Club" that helped me to really understand my feelings. I figured out that I do believe in God wholeheartedly, but seriously question the power of prayer. Here's a sum up of the good part:

    When bad things happen, it's not because of anything anyone has done. It's just that something had gone wrong with the wiring. God cries when we're in pain. He stands back and lets doctors do they're work. Lets the body heal itself. And if it doesn't, the God is waiting with open arms.

    After reading this one paragraph, I felt this huge burden lift. So I guess my favorite book club moment of the year was kind of an offset book club moment. Thanks Tara!

    How many words was that Anna? Anyway, I think I'll take September.

    September: Karen
    October:
    November: Ann
    December:
    January:
    February: Sharon
    March: Denise
    April:
    May:
    June: Sandy
    July:
    August:

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe that I have read every book this year except for The Help because I was unable to get it in time. Based on everyone's opinion of the book I should definitely still read it though! So, that in mind my favorites were Romeo and Julie and Firefly Lane. Occasionally it's good to read a book with heavy topics but I tend to like the more lighthearted, fast-read ones.
    I really enjoy this book club. I think we have a great variety of women and tastes - which makes the group so great.
    My favorite months were at Vieng's - nice table and good food, and Ann's house. It's always nice to be at someone's home. It's more cozy and comfortable. Thanks for that one, Ann!
    I'm looking forward to another fun year!
    I'll take April again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not sure if I have a favorite time together...we have so much fun everytime! I also really enjoyed reading the Help and was mad that I couldn't make the discussion. I also really enjoyed the Piano Teacher.
    Some of you know that I joined the APPTA because my husband wanted me to get out and meet other moms in the area...now my social calendar is busier than his! I look forward to book club every month (Monique make sure you pick a date later in July so I can be there; I am scheduled for a c-section on July 6th!). I will pick December.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok...I'd say "the Help" is my favorite...with the "Piano Teacher" and "Love in the Time of Cholera" as close 2nds...and I'm really looking forward to reading "Three Cups of Tea." Every time we get together is equally exciting, hilarious, and too short! I get real bitchy if I don't get to partake in my night out with the B's.
    I'm going to park my butt right between Karen and Ann and pick October.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle,

    Did you notice that I already snatched that month? If you really want it, I will change it thought. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sorry...was looking at the list after Ann's comment. I'll take August...if it's available...honestly I don't care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you fine with that? That is August 2011 you know. Not this August.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite books this year were "Love in the Time of Cholera," and "The Help." I'm still bummed that I wasn't able to attend the March meeting at Ann's. Like many of you, this is usually my favorite night out each month. I don't know that I've enjoyed any one of the meetings more than the others, but I did like the Secret Santa exchange in December. I hope that we continue that this year.

    Oh, and I'll take January.

    September: Karen
    October: Anna (The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein)
    November: Ann
    December: Tara
    January: Marisa
    February: Sharon
    March:Denise
    April: Lisa D
    May:
    June: Sandy
    July:
    August:Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. Or should I say, I'll be Miss January. How about that calendar idea?? hah!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We should totally do that. We can take pictures and Michelle can show me how to add a slide show to the blog. Be ready for me to take you pictures at the July meeting. Dress accordingly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anna, you can do better than that! We need to pick out our books and pose with them for our month. Maybe wearing something skimpy - ha! Fat chance of that one. Anyway, I just saw that Shutterfly has calendars for $10. Or we could go back to your idea of choosing 3 books - pose with all 3 and as your month gets closer, you could choose the one. Come on, I expect more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am sorry! I will try not to slack off anymore. How about nude?

    ReplyDelete
  18. If we're going to do nude, I vote for the 3 book option. And I'll be picking some big books!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really enjoyed "the Help" but with the "Piano Teacher" in a close second. In the Help, I fell in love with the characters and the relationships with the maids and their children, especially Abilene and Mae Mobly (I just loved Mae Mobly). Regarding the Piano Teacher, I couldn't put it down. It was a great story and I hope they make it into a movie.

    I really enjoy all our meetings but especially liked Vieng's so I will probably have my meeting there. Not to diss Ann, I really enjoyed meeting at your house too. My pick will probably be "the Life of Pi" and I guess I will take July next year. I absolutely love our club and it's the highlight of my month!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, the above post is from me, Monique

    ReplyDelete
  21. NOVEMBER 2010 BOOK:
    The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sorry that I am the only one who did not post something. Anna, I suppose you will have to give me an "F" or an "I" for "Incomplete".
    As for my favorite book...I really liked The Piano Teacher, but I also really liked The Help too...just didn't finish it yet, but I plan to! With that said, The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society is turning out to be my favorite. It is absolutely brilliant! I LOVE the intertextuality! It is amazing the way the author references other works of literature and how she weaves them in the novel to help tell the story. I am only half-way done, but am in awe of the her writing.
    Anyway, like all of the other B's, I look forward to Book Club all month. Not only do I love to read and discuss the book, (although I haven't been able to read, or finish the last three due to my new man's arrival) but I absolutely love getting together with all of you! I leave all of our "meetings" on an emotional high. (Or is it the alcohol? Or, all of the food that I just stuffed down my throat? :)) Seriously though, I really do feel incredibly lucky to belong to a group of such interesting, fun, and intelligent women, who love to read as much as I do. I love you guys! Sniff! Sniff!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love you vocab word: intertextuality! I had to look it up but using context clues within your post, I pretty much nailed the meaning. Nice! Textuality will be our new sexuality! I will have to take 10% off your grade though, because of your lateness. Next, time try to be more prompt.

    ReplyDelete